Just the musings of a young woman with thoughts to share...

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Musings on: Happiness

If you observe a really happy man you will find him building a boat, writing a symphony, educating his son, growing double dahlias in his garden. He will not be searching for happiness as if it were a collar button that has rolled under the radiator. - W. Beran Wolfe

Ever noticed how some people are just perpetually happy, and others aren't?  Dumb question, of course you have.  What I don't understand, is what the difference is.   Of course we all have highs and lows, but those who spend their lives in a perpetual low - just confuse me.


Anyway, I sidetrack myself again.   I just have a couple minutes here before the job comes calling (It's puppet show day - 50 kids in the back of the library.  Whoo-hoo!), but what I wanted to touch on, was how the small things in life can bring such happiness - at least to the heart of someone who is already happy.

This morning, driving in, it was gray and rainy.  I love gray and rainy days, so that is good, but you know how sometimes the sun filters through the clouds, and makes those long light beams that look like spotlights against the clouds?  That's what was happening today, and it was so pretty.  As I sit here now, the sun has come out, and it's shining over the wet leaves of trees, and across the courthouse.

As usual for a rural TN morning, there were deer everywhere as I was driving in.  Such power and grace, I could watch deer for hours.

Oh, and coffee.   Coffee is a very good thing - it wakes me up, for one, but it's also one of my favorite drinks in the world.   I do make it, for most peoples tastes, amazingly strong though.  Whenever someone who isn't used to my coffee gets a hold of it for the first time, you can tell.  One taste, and they dive for the milk/sugar again.  Oh well - it's not my fault I learned to drink it New Orleans style...

And maybe it's a Southern thing, I'm not sure, or just a small-town one - but I sit here watching people on the sidewalk passing, headed to work, errands, whatever.   Virtually everyone says hi as they pass, and if you know the person - the "hey, how are you - good, you - what's up" conversation can lead to practically walking backwards down the sidewalk as you talk and still try to get where you're going.  I know, I've done it many times.

Not to mention my friends.  I have some of the most awesome friends in the world, and when I get to talk to them - phone, internet, whatever, it just brightens my day.  Bonus points for when it happens first thing in the morning, because then that makes me happy all day long.

Anyway, I'm truly out of time here, I should know not to start a post when I'm in a rambling mood.  So I'll just leave you with this song, one of my all-time favorites, and one which pretty much describes how I feel about life at this point.   Have a great day, all!

~Zahrah


Ignore the fairly cheesy music video style.  It's an awesome song -
 but Sixwire, much as I love you guys - this video is pretty awful.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Any spam, sexual, abusive, trolling, or otherwise offensive posts will not be approved, so please don't even try it. Otherwise, I welcome all comments!